The Orange County Arts Commission presents the 5th Annual Paint It Orange Plein Air Paint-Out and Wet Paint Sale November 3-5, 2021. Artists are invited to Orange County, North Carolina, to capture the landscapes and landmarks signature to the Chapel Hill, Hillsborough, and Carrboro communities. Participating artists will paint at sites of their choosing throughout Orange County from November 3-5, and will submit up to three of their favorite paintings for jurying on Friday, November 5 at the Eno Arts Mill Gallery in Hillsborough.
An awards reception and preview party will take place at 6pm, followed by a reception and Wet Paint Sale at 7pm, in which the submitted paintings will be available for sale.
Katie Ziglar gradated from UNC-Chapel Hill as a Morehead-Cain Scholar in 1979. She returned to Chapel Hill thirty-seven years later, following thirteen years with the Smithsonian Institution’s Freer and Sackler Galleries, to take the helm as director of the Ackland Art Museum. Under her leadership, the Ackland has acquired significant additions to the permanent collection, including the Peck Collection, making the Ackland the only public university in the nation to own works by Rembrandt van Rijn. Her tenure has also featured notable exhibits including the Smithsonian’s National Portrait Gallery exhibit, The Outwin: American Portraiture Today, and Yayoi Kusama: Open the Shape Called Love.
2nd Place: $500.00
3rd Place: $250.00
People’s Choice: $100.00 People’s Choice voting will be open throughout the exhibit through November.
- Painting Area: Artists may paint any subject or scene outdoors he/she chooses within Orange County, including the towns of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. The sites must be accessible to the public and should not impede pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Artists are expected to maintain complete respect for private venues, and will be required to wear their name tags at all times. Painting(s) must be completed in the outdoor area and not from photographs. A list of recommended painting sites will be provided.
- Check-in: All artists must check in at the Orange County Arts Commission office at the Eno Mill in Hillsborough (see hours under “Schedule”). All painting surfaces must be stamped on-site at check-in prior to painting. Each piece must be painted en plein air, with nothing pre-painted or pre-drawn. Alternative surfaces such as paper, panel, and recycled materials are permitted and may be toned prior to check-in. Artists may stamp an unlimited number of surfaces, but will submit up to three pieces for juroring, display, and sale.
- Juroring and Wet Paint Sale: Only stamped works can be shown or sold. All submitted pieces must be labeled with artist’s name, title, and price. All work on paper or canvases less than 1″ thick must be framed and properly wired (no saw tooth hangers). Gallery-wrapped canvasses thicker than 1″ and alternative sturdy surfaces do not need to be framed, but do need to be properly wired for hanging. The OCAC reserves the right to exclude works not properly prepared for display. Artwork will remain on display through November.
- Proceeds from the Wet Paint Sale: For all work sold, the Orange County Arts Alliance (on behalf of the Orange County Arts Commission) will retain a 30% commission. The OCAA will collect all monies from the sale of artwork, including tax, through the end of November. Artists will receive payment by December 31. A W-9 will be required for payment.
- Unsold Artwork: Artists may donate unsold artwork, pick up their work the week of December 3, or have artwork mailed at their own expense. After January 31, 2022, remaining work will become property of the OCAC.
- Liability: The OCAC/OCAA assume no responsibility for theft, damage or liability. The artist is responsible for insurance of artwork. The OCAC/OCAA will make their best effort to assure the security of the artwork in the Eno Mill Gallery.
- Inclement Weather: The event will take place rain or shine, so please be prepared.
- Use of images: Artists agree to allow the OCAC use of images produced during the event.
A printed map will provided to you in your artist bag; you can also access an interactive Google Map (coming soon).
- Artist Check-in: Orange County Arts Commission office/Eno Mill Gallery: 437 Dimmocks Mill Rd., Suite 17 | Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Wednesday, November 3: 8am-5pm
- Thursday, November 4: 8am-5pm
- Friday, November 5: 8am-12pm
- Painting Check-in: Friday, November 5 | 8am – 1pm at the OCAC Office
- Awards Reception & Preview Party: Friday, November 5 | 6pm at the Eno Mill Gallery
- Wet Paint Sale: Begins at 7pm on Friday, November 5 following Awards Reception and Preview Party. Will be on display through November 28 including November Last Friday ArtWalk/Black Friday.
Unlike past years, the OCAC will not be arranging host homes for this year’s paint-out due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Out of town participants are encouraged to book lodging early, as Saturday, November 6 is homecoming for UNC-Chapel Hill.
Hotel and Bed & Breakfast options are available. Visit www.visitchapelhill.org/hotels for options in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Visit www.visithillsboroughnc.com/places-to-stay for options in Hillsborough. There’s also many options listed through Airbnb and VRBO.
Q: I want to paint but can’t afford the fee. Can I still participate?
A: Yes – we want anyone who wishes to participate to be able to! While we try to keep participation fees for Paint it Orange low, we don’t want financial barriers to prevent participation. When you register, you’ll find a “Pay What You Can” ticket and you’re welcome to donate any amount – whether that is $0 or $30. Please note Paint it Orange is a fundraiser for the Orange County Arts Alliance and all registration fees are used to support support its mission to expand the capacity of the Orange County Arts Commission, as together, they create, develop, and grow the arts of Orange County, North Carolina.
Q: Can I register on site?
A: Yes. You can register up until Sunday morning either online with a credit card or with a check/cash. Just come by the OCAC office (437 Dimmocks Mill Rd., Suite 17, Hillsborough), and we’ll get you set up!
Q: Do I have to frame thick canvas?
A: If you choose to work on a gallery wrapped canvas that is at least 1″ thick, or other “sturdy” surfaces such as recycled metal and wood, you don’t need to frame the work. However, it does need to be wired for hanging – no sawtooth hangers! Finished edges are encouraged for all canvases, especially those thicker than 1″.
Q: Are surfaces other than canvas allowed?
A: Yes! You can use paper, cardboard, recycled materials… whatever you wish to use that can be properly wired for exhibiting.
Q: Are other mediums allowed?
A: Yes! Watercolor, pastel, charcoal, crayon… whatever you wish to use.
Q: I am a watercolorist using watercolor paper. Won’t the stamp show through the paper?
A: Potentially yes, so we’ll have our check-in volunteers sign a corner of your paper indicating it was checked.
Q: I want to frame my work behind glass, but am worried that it might be wet. What do I do?
A: Our suggestion is to either frame your work without glass (especially if you’re working in oil!) or finish early enough to let your work dry before painting check-in (1pm Friday).
Q: What are the funds raised by this event being used for?
A: Funds generated by the event will support the Orange County Arts Alliance (OCAA), a new nonprofit organization created by the Orange County Arts Commission to further support and nurture the creative community of Orange County. Funds raised by the OCAA will support programs such as grants, public art, and arts in education. Masks are required to attend the reception.
Other questions? Email us at PaintitOrangeNC@gmail.com.
Registration fee is $25 before October 1, $30 as of October 1. A student rate of $20 is available (you must present your student ID at check-in). Online payments are subject to a small processing fee.
Click here to register online using a credit card or Paypal.
Paint it Orange is a perfect way to support the local arts community and have your business participate in a fun event! New this year, all sponsors will receive an invitation to the Awards Reception & Preview Party, giving you the first opportunity to view this year’s work. Click here to view this year’s sponsor package!