Online applications are now available for the 2016 Emerging Artists Grant Program. The Emerging Artists Program (EAP) is a project grant program that provides financial support to developing or established professionals by funding a project pivotal to the advancement of their careers as artists. Pivotal projects may happen at different stages of a career; therefore Emerging Artists Grants are not restricted to “unestablished” artists. 2015-2016 Emerging Artists Grants are intended to fund a particular project that will occur between January 1 – December 31, 2016. Eligible applicants must be current residents of Durham, Orange, Chatham, Granville or Person Counties (NC) and have lived in that county since September 25, 2014, be at least 18 years of age and cannot be enrolled in a degree program in their art form.
Free, public information sessions are available to provide an overview of the grant program:
August 6, 2015 – 6:00 p.m. (Thursday) Adaron Hall, Durham Arts Council, 120 Morris Street, Durham Contact: Margaret DeMott, 919-560-2720 or email@example.com
August 17, 2015 – 6:00 p.m. (Monday) Chatham Arts Council Office, 287 East St, 2nd Floor, Pittsboro Contact: Cheryl Chamblee, Chatham County Arts Council, 919-542-0394
August 18, 2015 – 6:00 p.m. (Tuesday) Meeting Room A, Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill Contact: Martha Shannon, Orange County Arts Commission Director, 919-968-2011 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Emerging Artists Program is funded through grants from the North Carolina Arts Council a division of the Department of Cultural Resources, The Mary Duke Biddle Foundation, the Orange County Arts Commission, the Granville Arts Council, the Person County Arts Council, the Chatham Arts Council, gifts to the Durham Arts Council Annual Arts Fund, the Ella Fountain Pratt Fund, the Ruth Carver Fund, The Wainwright Fund for New Works and private & corporate donations.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm on Friday, September 25, 2015.
Durham Arts Council’s Emerging Artists Program Application Process
Applications to the 2016 Emerging Artists Program are online. You can link to the applications from the Durham Arts Council website (https://www.durhamarts.org/artistinfo_emergingartists.html). Each discipline has a unique application, so you will choose the “dance” application if you are applying in dance, the “photography” application if you are applying in photography, etc. Review the options and pick the one most appropriate.
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm on September 25, 2015.
The application program allows you to save your work and return to rework the application as many times as you wish. To help you prepare to fill out your application, we are listing the questions you will be asked below:
Identification, contact information, request amount
- County of Residence
- Daytime and evening phone
- Race (optional)
- How did you learn about the Emerging Artists Program?
- Are you a resident of one of the participating counties (Durham, Orange, Chatham, Granville, Person) and have you been a resident since at least September 25, 2014?
- Grant amount requested (may not exceed $1,500)
- Briefly describe your project in 25 words or less.
- Explain why you consider yourself an emerging artist.
- Briefly describe your career goals.
- Describe your project and explain the project’s impact on your ability to reach your career goals.
- Date for completion of project (if completion date is later than December 31, 2016, please explain)
- Project budget
- Work samples: work samples vary depending on discipline. Image (jpegs only), text files, certain audio and video files can be uploaded directly. You may also upload links for audio and video files.