The Orange County Arts Commission, in partnership with presenting sponsors Hedgehog Holdings and the Eno River Mill, are pleased to announce the winners of the 5th Annual Paint it Orange Plein Air Paint-out. The event took place November 3-5, 2021, throughout Orange County. Fifty-six painters from five states participated in the painting competition, which was judged by Katie Ziglar, director of the Ackland Art Museum at UNC-Chapel Hill.
This years winners are as follows (please scroll down to view images):
- First Place: Eno Autumn: Cathedral of Fire, oil on canvas on birch, by Max Dowdle of Hillsborough, NC
- Second Place: Morgan Glen #1, Carrboro, mixed media watercolor, by Nerys Levy of Carrboro, NC
- Third Place: 1:15pm Departure from Carrboro, watercolor, by Mateus Costa of Cheltenham, PA
- Honorable Mention: Barn of Bales, oil on stretched linen, by Linda Hauser of Wake Forest, NC
- Honorable Mention: Chestnut Ridge Community Farm, oil on canvas, by Lyudmila Tomova of Cary, NC
- Honorable Mention: NC Farm, oil and graphite on canvas, by Deb Hauser of Raleigh, NC
- Honorable Mention: The Eno at Allison Road, oil on panel, by Carroll Lassiter of Chapel Hill, NC
- People’s Choice: Eno Autumn: Cathedral of Fire, oil on canvas on birch, by Max Dowdle of Hillsborough, NC
- Sponsor’s Choice, Hedgehog Holdings: Date Night Hillsborough, oil on canvas, by Mateus Costa of Cheltenham, PA
- Sponsor’s Choice, Eno River Mill: Orange County Afterglow, oil, by Gerry O’Neill of Bahama, NC
- Sponsor’s Choice, Russell’s Pottery: New Hope Market, acrylic on canvas, by Ellen Cabacungan of Chapel Hill, NC
- Sponsor’s Choice, Mace Construction, Inc: Barn on Old Greensboro Road, oil, by Susan Paulsen of Carrboro, NC
- Sponsor’s Choice, State Farm Rick Ashby: Race in the Past, oil on linen, by Sheila Brooks of Burlington, NC
The exhibit of paintings will be displayed and for sale through the end of November at the Eno Mill Gallery located at 437 Dimmocks Mill Road, Suite 17, in Hillsborough. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Friday, 12-5pm. The gallery will be open on Black Friday and Shop Small Saturday from 9am-5pm.
Funds generated by the event will support the Orange County Arts Alliance (OCAA), a new 501(c)3 nonprofit organization created by the Orange County Arts Commission to further support and nurture the creative community of Orange County.
The Orange County Arts Commission is thankful for the support of this year’s presenting sponsors, Hedgehog Holdings and the Eno River Mill, as well as contributing sponsors Mace Construction, Inc., Russell’s Pottery, State Farm Rick Ashby, Jerry’s Artarama, and New Hope Market.