Please see our F.A.Q.’s page for questions to our most commonly asked questions!
Check out our Plein Air Google Map for suggested painting sites! A hard copy map will be provided upon check-in.
Interested in purchasing a painting? Click here for info on the Wet Paint Sale!
The Orange County Arts Commission (OCAC) and the Hillsborough Arts Council (HAC) present the inaugural Paint it Orange Plein Air Paint Out and Wet Paint Sale! For three days, artists are invited to paint the sites of Orange County, NC, including the towns of Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough.
1st Place: $500.00
2nd Place: $300.00
3rd Place: $150.00
People’s Choice: $100.00
Voting for People’s Choice will be open through November. The winner will be notified early December.
John Beerman is a painter whose work has been exhibited nationally and internationally. He attended the Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture and earned a BFA from the Rhode Island School of Design. Beerman has received numerous awards and fellowships, including the Pollack-Krasner Foundation Award and the Yaddo Artist Colony Fellowship. His work is represented in museums including The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; and the Whitney Museum of American Art, New York. Public commissions include a mural in the Craftsteak restaurant at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, and an eighty-five foot mural in the I.M. Pei designed Milstein Family Heart Center, New York Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. John lives in Durham, NC, and is represented by Tibor de Nagy Gallery in New York City.
- ARTIST CHECK-IN:
Hillsborough Arts Council (HAC)
102 N. Churton St. | Hillsborough, NC 27278
Wednesday, October 25 8am-5pm
Thursday, October 26 8am-5pm
Friday, October 27 8am-12pm
- PAINTING CHECK-IN: Friday, October 27 8am-2pm at HAC
- AWARDS RECEPTIONS: Friday, October 27 6pm at HAC
- WET PAINT SALE: Taking place during Last Fridays Art Walk Friday, October 27 6:30pm at HAC
A schedule of local events will be available upon check-in and on this page.
- PAINTING AREA: Artists may paint any subject or scene outdoors he/she chooses within Orange County, including the towns of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. The sites must be accessible to the public and should not impede pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Artists are expected to maintain complete respect for private venues. Artists will be required to wear their name tags at all times on-site. Painting(s) must be completed in the outdoor area and not from photographs. A list of recommended painting sites will be provided.
- CHECK-IN: All artists must check in at the Hillsborough Arts Council . See reverse for check-in hours. All painting surfaces must be stamped at check-in prior to painting. Maximum allowed surface size is 16″x 20″. Each piece must be started and completed en plein air, with nothing pre-painted or pre-drawn. Artists may stamp an unlimited number of canvases, but will submit up to three pieces for juroring, display, and sale.
- JURORING AND WET PAINT SALE: Only stamped canvases can be shown or sold. All submitted pieces must be labeled with artist’s name, title, and price. All work must be framed and properly wired (no saw tooth hangers). HAC reserves the right to exclude works not properly prepared for display. Framed artwork will remain on display through November.
- PROCEEDS FROM WET PAINT SALE: For all work sold, HAC/OCAC will retain a 30% commission. HAC will collect all monies from the sale of artwork, including tax, through the end of November. Artists will receive payment by December 31. A W-9 will be required for payment.
- UNSOLD ARTWORK: Artists may donate unsold artwork to HAC/OCAC’s online fundraiser, pick up their work the week of December 4, or have artwork mailed at their own expense. After December 31, 2017, remaining work will become property of HAC.
- LIABILITY: HAC/OCAC assume no responsibility for theft, damage or liability. The artist is responsible for insurance of artwork. HAC will make their best effort to assure the security of the artwork in the gallery.
- INCLEMENT WEATHER: The event will take place rain or shine, so please be prepared.
- USE OF IMAGES: Artists agree to allow HAC/OCAC use of images produced during the event.
HOST HOMES are available on a first-come, first-served basis. See registration form for more information.
HOTEL AND BED & BREAKFAST options are available. Visit www.visitchapelhill.org/hotels for a complete list.
NOTE! Saturday, October 28th is UNC Chapel Hill Homecoming. It is highly recommended that you make lodging arrangements ASAP!