The Hillsborough Arts Council (HAC) and the Orange County Arts Commission (OCAC) will host the 2nd Annual Paint it Orange Plein Air Paint-out Fundraiser October 19-21, 2018. For three days, local and visiting artists will experience the beauty, charm, and rich history of Orange County by painting en plein air, capturing the landscapes and landmarks signature to our region. Last year’s event was an overwhelming success, drawing 50 artists from seven states, showcasing 115 works of art. To allow for additional growth, HAC and OCAC have partnered with C3 Hillsborough, a beautiful new co-working space in Downtown Hillsborough, to co-host the exhibit and events.
New this year, we have added the Plein Air Concepts Workshop with juror Chad Smith, taking place October 17 and 18. For more information on the workshop, please click here.
2nd Place: $300.00
3rd Place: $150.00
People’s Choice: $100.00 Voting for People’s Choice will be open through Last Fridays Art Walk on October 26th.
Chad Smith grew up in rural Indiana developing an appreciation for the outdoors. Inspired by the specificity of light and weather conditions found outdoors, Chad devotes himself to the pursuit of painting en plein air. It has been said that Chad’s work is “Not just ‘a scene,’ but a real statement about something, yet not forced or melodramatic.”
Chad participates in plein air events across the country and has won Best of Show honors in the Finger Lakes Plein Air Festival, Upstate Invitational and various other awards. Chad has enjoyed multiple solo and group exhibitions and holds a BA in drawing and painting and an MFA in painting from the Academy of Art University. His training also includes two years of classical academic atelier work along withm various workshops. Learn more at chadsmithpaintings.com.
- Painting Area: Artists may paint any subject or scene outdoors he/she chooses within Orange County, including the towns of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill and Carrboro. The sites must be accessible to the public and should not impede pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Artists are expected to maintain complete respect for private venues, and will be required to wear their name tags at all times. Painting(s) must be completed in the outdoor area and not from photographs. A list of recommended painting sites will be provided.
- Check-in: All artists must check in at C3 Hillsborough (see hours under “Schedule”). All painting surfaces must be stamped at check-in prior to painting. Maximum allowed finished size, including frame, is 16″x 20″. Each piece must be painted en plein air, with nothing pre-painted or pre-drawn. Toned canvasses are permitted. Artists may stamp an unlimited number of canvases, but will submit up to two pieces for juroring, display, and sale.
- Juroring and Wet Paint Sale: Only stamped canvases can be shown or sold. All submitted pieces must be labeled with artist’s name, title, and price. All work must be framed and properly wired (no saw tooth hangers). HAC/OCAC reserve the right to exclude works not properly prepared for display. Artwork will remain on display through November.
- Proceeds from the Wet Paint Sale: For all work sold, HAC/OCAC will retain a 30% commission. HAC will collect all monies from the sale of artwork, including tax, through the end of November. Artists will receive payment by December 31. A W-9 will be required for payment.
- Unsold Artwork: Artists may donate unsold artwork, pick up their work the week of December 3, or have artwork mailed at their own expense. After December 31, 2018, remaining work will become property of HAC.
- Liability: HAC/OCAC/C3 assume no responsibility for theft, damage or liability. The artist is responsible for insurance of artwork. HAC/OCAC will make their best effort to assure the security of the artwork in the HAC Gallery and at C3 Hillsborough.
- Inclement Weather: The event will take place rain or shine, so please be prepared.
- Use of images: Artists agree to allow HAC/OCAC use of images produced during the event.
- Plein Air Concepts Workshop with Chad Smith: Wednesday, October 17 and Thursday, October 18
- Artist Check-in: C3 Hillsborough, 128 N. Churton St. | Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Friday, October 19 8am-5pm
- Saturday, October 20 8am-5pm
- Sunday, October 21 8am-12pm
- Painting Check-in: Sunday, October 21 | 9am-1pm at C3 Hillsborough
- Awards Reception: Sunday, October 21 | 6pm at C3 Hillsborough
- Wet Paint Sale: Through November 23 at C3 Hillsborough and Hillsborough Arts Council Gallery and Gift Shop, including Hillsborough Last Fridays Art Walk October 26th, 6-9pm.
- Host Homes: Host homes are available on a first-come, first served basis. See registration form for more information.
- Holiday Inn Express Hillsborough: Paint it Orange special rate: Thursday-Sunday nights, $108.99 per night. Click this special booking link (dates must coincide with the event in order to utilize the special rate) before midnight on September 20.
- Hotel and Bed & Breakfast options are available. Visit www.visitchapelhill.org/hotels for options in Chapel Hill and Carrboro. Visit www.visithillsboroughnc.com/places-to-stay for options in Hillsborough.
Q: Do I have to frame thick canvas?
A: If you choose to work on a gallery wrapped canvas that is at least 1″ thick, you don’t need to frame it. However, it does need to be wired for hanging and please make sure your edges are finished. No sawtooth hangers!
Q: Are other mediums allowed?
A: Yes! Watercolor, pastel, charcoal, crayon… whatever you wish to use.
Q: I am a watercolorist using watercolor paper. Won’t the stamp show through the paper?
A: Potentially yes, so we’ll have our check-in volunteers sign a corner of your paper indicating it was checked.
Q: I want to frame my work behind glass, but am worried that it might be wet. What do I do?
A: Our suggestion is to either frame your work without glass (especially if you’re working in oil!) or finish early enough to let your work dry before painting check-in (1pm Sunday).
Q: Is the 16″ x 20″ maximum size including the frame?
A: Yes, the work must be no larger than 16″ x 20″ including the frame and matting. Work with a total finished size larger than 16″ x 20″ will not be accepted.
Q: What are the funds raised by this event being used for?
A: Funds raised from the event will go to support programming of the Hillsborough Arts Council, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, as well as the Arts Grants program of the Orange County Arts Commission.
Other questions? Email us at email@example.com
Participating artists as of September 17, 2018:
Registration fee is $25 before on or before October 1, $30 after October 1. A student rate of $20 is available (you must present your student ID at check-in). Online payments are subject to a small processing fee.
Click here to register online using a credit card or Paypal.
Download a registration form to mail or drop off. (Note: the registration brochure doesn’t include the $20 student rate; if you are a student, please make a note on your form indicating you are a student and where.)
To register for the Plein Air Concepts Workshop with Chad Smith, please click here.
Award winners from 2017 Paint it Orange: